Friday 17 June 2011

Using Texture

I made a series of 5cm boxes and tried to use different objects of varying  textures and tried different ways of using tools to achieve an effect. I firstly tried an orange and used different methods of  techniques.  Some methods worked and some didn't and I found that the type of paper used had a bearing on the result i.e. I tried pencil on a cold pressed 140lbs water colour paper and this gave a good efect with little effort but drawing in detail was not so easy.  I tried graphite dust collected from a graphite stick and I tried to dab it on using a stipling brush this was not very successful so I tried stipling with the pencil over top again not very successful.  I had some success with a towelling fabric which is shown in the sample box and I used the same technique with coloured pencils to show texture on an avocado this seemed to work as well.
I them tried some frottage and there some interesting effects it is easy to see why Ernst incorporated them into his work.  I then tried some more textural boxes and I think that I need to play about and use more ways of developing this further I am already flipping back in my sketch books to see what I have done and using ideas from it.  It is proving to be a very useful tool.
The last drawing I tried was to develop the technique I tried to draw a towel with some other objects and it wasn't so succuessful but I tried too hard with getting the texture I lost sight of the tone and started to rub out highlights so it did not look so good.  I think the technique was sound but the execution lousy!

No comments:

Post a Comment