Friday 17 June 2011

Botanical course with coloured pencils

On May 20th I attended a Botanical course with coloured pencils for 2 days at Missenden Abbey.  The tutor was Jill Winch and as we were only a group of six we all had a lot of one to one help.   Like all colour mediums it is the experience in which colour to use that is important.  I hadn't much experience in using polychromos pencils and I was amazed at the effect and opacity of the medium.
I chose a clematis and it took the entire two days to complete!  The drawing was on Fabiano Artistico paper which is a lovely paper to work on and it is the first time I have drawn on this type of paper. 
On the whole I came out with a picture and the rudiments of how to colour leaves, the importance of accuracy and observation, the use of embossing, and how to produce a bloom effect on fruit.
What I already know about myself is that I have to work more quickly, I found that I tackled the drawing with much more confidence and I did this quickly but I was more tentative about applying colour and this took the time.  Whether I will go back and study botanical work in more depth I do not know as I am trying to move away from exacting drawing and trying to be more expressive.  I felt this was encouraging me to be precis and exact which was very useful from an observational point of view but not so good for freeing up your work.

No comments:

Post a Comment