Wednesday 13 June 2012

Exercise energy

As I have progressed through this assignment and the life class I have realised the importance of the 'warming up' sketches and as time as gone on I have developed more confidence in this exercise and I am approaching it  more positively and I am finding that the proportions in the quick sketches are becoming increasingly better. The gestural pose is more interesting and I am now preferring the more complex poses as they are more interesting and challenging. The quicker and more confident you are the more energy appears in the drawing.

These are a selection of the sketches I have done and the one thing I have found that angles and shapes help define the pose. The top left shape is vertually triangular and so is the top right with a rounded apex,  and the bottom pose is a narrow rectangle.
This next exercise was very liberating and I found exciting and I think shows energy and pace and the freedom to make mistakes which seem to add to the study.  Using pen I did a number of different poses superimposed onto each other ranging from 1 to 3 minute for each pose. It was a fun exercise and I completely lost the need for realism and concentrated on shape.

The next sketch was trying to capture movement the first sketch was a model getting up from a chair and trying to capture the movement and again I was too fiddley and put in too much detail.  The second sketch on the right was a model stepping on and off a stool.

Drawing moving figures which I have done in my sketch books has been quite illuminating and I found that noticing the angle of the head adds so much to the gestural aspect of the pose and drawing from life has so sharpened my observational skills that I feel that I have really improved my ability to tackle awkward subjects.

No comments:

Post a Comment