Monday 16 May 2011

Reflected Light

I was asked to consider reflected light as apposed to direct light.  This again I had never thought of and just copied the tone I saw.  I now appreciate the importance of reflected light as it doesn't just reflect light but colour as well which adds to the interest of the painting.  My first attempt at drawing two objects one of them shiny and the other ceramic was a bit distasterous as I am still getting to grips with hatching I do not think that the hatching on the tin works but it certainly looks better on the cup.  I strive sometimes too hard to achieve the technique at the expence of tone and form which I normally do not have a problem with, but I know eventually it will all come together!
I was asked to do an exercise in shadows and reflected light and shade using charcoal and a putty rubber on A1 or A2 paper. I chose A2 and 2 silver plated mugs.  I seemed to see reflected light from a wide source as the mugs were bulbous and picked up a lot of reflections.  I used pastel mat which is excellant at holding the charcoal in place.  I enjoyed doing the exercise but the business of the reflections made it a very hard subject. 
The difficulties in separating cast shadow from reflected light particularly using charcoal is that reflected light carries the colour on which it is reflected from and therefore tone, so, the reflected light may appear slightly darker and it is important not to lose it completely.  In this drawing the reflected light comes in the shape of the adjacent tankard and the handles which appears elongated in the reflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment