Tuesday 3 May 2011

Making a Mark

I have completed the first three exercises and I know I will need to continue to practise these over again.  I experimented with pencils, pens, charcoal, coloured pencils, watercolour pencils, pastels, crayons, conte crayons, and felt tips.
I found that holding a tool differently produced different levels of control and tone.  I have in the past automatically used pencils in this way but never thought about it.  Drawing on A2 paper was initially intimidating but using your whole arm to sweep across the paper was very liberating.  Circles and parallel lines were free flowing and natural, there were no rules and I would like to draw like this more often, this is so outside of my comfort zone, of being so precis in copying.
Using pen and ink was interesting and I enjoyed stipling to produce tone I tried a leaf in my sketch book and although I do not think that I produced a good tonal picture I think that it is a technique that I will try again.  Stipling with coloured pencils not very effectice as not enough of the colour is deposited on the paper, but with coloured ink pens it was more dynamic.

No comments:

Post a Comment